Google finally launches Google Sites, after acquiring JotSpot for quite some time already.
What is Google Sites?
Google Sites is an online application that makes creating a team web site as easy as editing a document. You can quickly gather a variety of information in one place — including videos, calendars, presentations, attachments, and gadgets —l and easily share it for viewing or editing with a small group, their entire organization, or the world.
Google Sites is the easiest way to make information accessible to people who need quick, up-to-date access. People can work together on a Site to add file attachments, information from other Google applications (like Google Docs, Google Calendar, YouTube and Picasa), and new free-form content. Creating a site together is as easy as editing a document, and you always control who has access, whether it’s just yourself, your team, or your whole organization. You can even publish Sites to the world. The Google Sites web application is accessible from any internet connected computer.
- Anyone can do it — Building a site is as simple as editing a document, and you don’t need anyone’s help to get started.
- Share from one place — Create a single place to bring together all the information your team needs to share, including docs, videos, photos, calendars and attachments.
- Work together — Invite co-workers, classmates, or your entire organization to edit your site with you to keep it fresh and up-to-date. And let as many or few people view your site as you want.
Check out some example sites to see how you might use Google Sites:
- Company intranet — http://sites.google.com/a/organic-city.com/intranet/Home
- Team project — http://sites.google.com/a/altostrat.com/project-eggplant/Home
- Employee profile — http://sites.google.com/a/altostrat.com/jkraus/Home
- Classroom — http://sites.google.com/a/googleclassrooms.org/mrs-richau/Home
- Student club — http://sites.google.com/a/googleuniversity.org/ski-club/Home
However, Google Sites is exclusively available in Google Apps. You need to have at least a Team or Standard Google Apps account (both are free).